Dublin, Ireland

Statues, Sculpture, and Monuments

Saturday, February 18 through Saturday, February 24, 2006

Back to the Ireland index. To see all of the pictures taken during this trip, go here.


Two old gals a gabbing.


Next to the Half Penny Bridge


The Linesman.


The Famine Statues.


James Joyce


Jim Larken


O'Connell on O'Connell Street.


Molly Malone


James Joyce in St. Stephen's Green


The inscription reads:
This fountain designed by the sculptor Josef Wackerle is the gift of the people of the German Federal Republic to mark their gratitude for Ireland's help after the war of 1939-45. The bronze group portrays the three legendary fates spinning and measuring the thread of man's destiny.
St. Stephen's Green


Famine
St. Stephen's Green


Wolf Tone
St. Stephen's Green


Inscription
To the women who worked in the Magdalene laundry institutions and to the children born to some members of those communities - reflect here upon their lives.
St. Stephen's Green


A statue of Mary found in the parking lot for the Avoca parish church Church of St. Mary and Patrick. The inscription reads:
Mary conceived without sin. Pray for us who have recourse to thee.


Bust of Thomas Moore - famous Irish poet. Inscription reads:
Thomas Moore, Ireland's National Poet composed his immortal lyric "The Meeting of the Waters" under this tree in the year 1807.


Monument in Cobh (pronounced Cove) expressing the gratitude of the United States to the people of Cobh for rendering assistance to the survivors and victims of the Lusitania disaster. The inscription reads:
To the memory of all who perished by the sinking of the Lusitania May 7, 1915 and in the cause of universal and lasting peace.
They helped in the rescue - gave aid and comfort to the survivors and buried the dead.


"The Navigator" can be found along the waterfront in Cobh (pronounced Cove).


In Cobh, where a number of Irish emigrated to the U.S. there is a monument for the first person to be processed through Ellis Island. Inscription:
Anne Moore and her brothers Anthony and Philip embarked from this town on 30 December 1891 on the S.S. Nevada. Anne was the first person to be admitted to the United States of America through the new immigration centre at Ellis Island, New York on 1 January, 1892.
This sculpture was unveiled by the President of Ireland, Mary Robinson on 9 February, 1993. It was erected by Cobh Heritage Trust LTD. and is dedicated to all who emigrated from Ireland.

 


Oscar Wilde in all his glory. This sculpture can be found at the Northwest corner of Merrion Square.


St. Francis looks out from above the doorway to The Chapel in Dublin Castle.


The FIgure of Justice sits on top of the main gate to Dublin Castle. She faces inward toward the government (initially the British government) and away from the people (Irish). Some Irish found this prophetic. Sounds like business as usual.


This statue of Drummond, found inside Dublin City Hall resonates with me. It bears the inscription:
Properties has its duties as well as its rights.